Synagogues in the Jewish Quarter of Pest
To have a collection of all the synagogues that exist in Budapest, with background information, exterior and interior photos is a great undertaking. However we will try to present all of them to you, at least with a photo and their addresses.
Budapest has more than 20 synagogues, but many of them do not function today as synagogues anymore. There are 22 active synagogues and numerous praying rooms all over the city, many of the later located in hospitals, social homes or schools. Some of the inactive synagogues however have such beautiful building, that we have listed them below.
Synagogues outside the Jewish Quarter of Pest
IV district, Berzeviczy utca 8.
Constructed in 1886 by Ármin Hegedűs and Henrik Böhm (not certain), reconstructed in 1909 by Lipót Baumhorn.
VI district, Dessewffy utca 23.
The Orthodox prayer-room was opened in 1870. Called the Porters' or Carriers' Synagogue, the building housed also the Sick Fund and Selfaid Society of the Budapest Public Servants' Industrial Association.
Streetfront with the entrance
The synagogue courtyard
Detail of the synagogue
Detail of the synagogue
VII district, István utca 17. (Bethlen tér)
Originally the building had been constructed for the National Israelite Institute for the Deaf and Dumb in 1876 to plans by Vilmos Freund. The prayer room was enlarged into a temple in 1931-32 according to the plans of Lipót Baumhorn in Neo-Renaissance style. From the 1920s more and more Jewish institutions moved into the building. Before the WWII the Association of Israelite Women maintained a soup kitchen and a children's playing room in it. The Office for the Patronage of Hungarian Israelites set up an office here in 1939, the JOINT (self-help organization), the Pest Jewish Community and the Hungarian Zionist movement also operated here to compensate the Hungarian Jews for the anti-Jewish laws of the early XXth century.
VII district, Nagy Fuvaros utca 4.
VIII district, Hunyadi tér 3.
The synagogue was founded in 1896 and can be found on the mezzanine floor of a tenement house.
VIII district, József körút 27.
Synagogue of the National Rabbinical Seminary, constructed in 1877 in Eclectic style.
VIII district, Teleki tér 22.
Prayer house in the courtyard of an apartment house.
IX district, Páva utca 39.
The synagogue has been modernized when the Holocaust Documentation Center and Memorial Museum moved here. It is home to concerts and exhibitions also during the Jewish Summer Festival.
X district, Cserkesz utca
The building was constructed in 1910 by Richárd Schöntheil; the design evokes Lipót Baumhorn's works, specially the synagogue on Dózsa György street. It stopped functioning as a synagogue during the communism, in 1966.The building was first turned into an exhibition hall, later it served as a warehouse of the Hungarian Television. After the fall of the regime, in 1991 it was restored by the Scandinavian Philanthropic Foundation of the Ecumenical Christian Community, and they've been using the institute ever since.
The beautiful building of the former synagogue
The inscription: Everybody's Temple
Star of David on the windows
Cross above the entrance
XIII district, Dózsa György út 55.
The synagogue was built to plans by Lipót Baumhorn. In 1980 the building was acquired by the Honvéd Sports Club, and has been used ever since for sport activities. Behind the synagogue the former cultural hall is used as a praying room; it has served the newly formed community since February 2003.
XIII district, Visegrádi utca 3.
XIII district, Hegedűs Gyula utca 3.
The building was built to plans by Béla Vajda in 1911, being re-modeled by Lipót Baumhorn in 1927. This synagogue is one of the last works of the architect, Lipót Baumhorn died in 1932.
XIV district, Thököly út 83.
This synagogue is located in a mansion that was bought in 1930 and turned into a synagogue by Aron Aronffy, a doctor-colonel of WWI.
XVIII district, Honvéd utca 27.
XX district, Téglagyár tér 9 (Pesterzsébet - Soroksár - Csepel district).
The prayer room is in a residential block of flats
The community's former synagogue
I district, Táncsics Mihály utca 26.
During the course of excavations in the area performed in the 1960s for the reconstruction of an apartment building, remnants of a medieval synagogue were discovered. Today there is a museum prayer-house here, with a photo exhibition on the history of the Jews from Buda.
III district, Lajos utca 163.
At the beginning Jews were allowed to settle down in Hungary on estates that belonged to Hungarian noblemen. Jews coming from Bohemia and Moravia to live on the estates of the Zichy counts in 1712 formed the first modern Jewish Community in Buda. In the 18th, 19th century there was no segregated Jewish quarter, however their houses were usually arranged in the vicinity of the communal buildings. The center was called Jewish street (today Lajos utca). The first synagogue here deteriorated to such an extent, that a new one was constructed in 1769 by Máté Nepauer. Due to the closeness of the river Danube the walls of the second synagogue cracked within 50 years, and a third one was constructed by András Landherr. Consacrated in 1821, reconstructed in 1900 and again in the 1970s, today it belongs to the Hungarian Television.
II district, Frankel Leó utca 49.
The architect Sándor Fellner built the synagogue in French-Gothic style in 1888. The community's office is located on the first floor of the building surrounding the synagogue. The Buda Mitzvah Club is also located here.
Rare of synagogue seen from the riverside
XI district, Károli Gáspár tér 5.
This is a small prayer house of the Buda community. The congregation gathers on Fridays, Sabbath and the High Holidays.
XII district, Budakeszi út 48.
Synagogue of the Lauder Yavne Jewish Community School.